If you ever feel you don’t have enough time in the day to finish all your tasks, you are not alone. It is said that an average person tries at least 13 different ways to manage their time before finding one that works. Fortunately, there are several options that you can use to manage your time and complete your projects in good time.
Effective scheduling is simply organizing your activities to ensure priorities and goals are achieved within a set timeline. The best way to do this is by adopting efficient scheduling methods that allow you to assign tasks to every part of your day. With effective scheduling, you will be surprised at the amount of work done within the shortest time. So, how do you effectively schedule your time so that you achieve your set goals?
- Establish the time available
For most people, work only takes part of their day with personal activities taking the remaining time. It is important to identify the hours you will be working and assign tasks that fit within that time. Ensure that you set aside some time for breaks so that you don’t get overwhelmed.
- List your tasks for the day
On any day, many actions need to be done, but some are important than others. Make a list of every action to give you an idea of what needs to be done within the day. Tasks that you will be assessed against at your workplace should be on top of your to-do list.
- Review your schedule
Go through your list and identify urgent activities and those that cannot be delegated. These activities should be a priority and done during the most productive part of your day. Whether you are a morning or afternoon person, ensure that the high-priority tasks are completed during that time.
- Plan for emergencies
No day is the same at any workplace, making it important to assign extra time for emergencies. If your job is unpredictable, consider assigning a bit more time for contingencies that allow you to complete activities without feeling rushed. Whether used or unused, having extra time will give you peace of mind knowing you can handle any unscheduled activity and achieve daily goals.
How to schedule your day effectively
A daily schedule is important because it keeps you on track so that your time is used well. Not only that, a schedule gives you control over your work and life in general. Here are some simple steps to effectively schedule your day.
Step 1 – Start yesterday
For a better start to your day, create your schedule the day before. Take time the previous day or night to list down every task that needs to be done the next day. When you know what’s expected of you, you sleep better and wake up energized to tackle the day.
Step 2 – Pick the most important activity
Although you have a list of activities for the day, it is important to identify the most important one. The task should contribute to the objectives of the day when it is completed. Besides the primary task, add other important tasks to the list and do your best to complete them. Efficient scheduling is when you prioritize and complete the most important tasks of the day.
Step 3 – Complete the most important task first
Most people are energetic in the morning, making it the best time to complete key tasks. Start with the most important activity that affects your objectives and ensure it is completed. With the high-priority task done, you can focus on other activities for the day and even handle contingencies.
Step 4 – Time your activities
To be effective, ensure each activity on your schedule is done within a certain timeline. When you work with specific timelines, you can complete several tasks that contribute to your objective within the day. If a task is running past the allocated time, it is easier to make adjustments and still be effective in the long run.
Step 5 – Create routines
If you have tasks that are part of your day, you can create a routine that allows you to complete them effectively within the shortest time. Efficient scheduling of routine work in your day makes it possible to achieve more with minimum effort.
What is the best free work schedule app?
Efficient scheduling is important for anyone that wants to enjoy productive days in their personal and work life. One of the best ways to continuously be productive is to download a work schedule application. Luckily, several applications offer the basic option to users at no cost, giving you a chance to use time efficiently. Here are some of the best free work schedule apps that can work for you.
- Trello – If you love to have a vision board of the work ahead of you, Trello is your best bet. The application is made up of boards and cards on which you can add different types of information. Some of the information displayed on the board includes lists, notes, labels, files, and color codes, which can be reorganized according to your priorities.
- Any.do – It is a user-friendly time management apps with several great features. The app has an integrated calendar, a to-do list, and an assistant for easier tasks management. You can choose to dictate your to-do list to the app and customize your theme and agenda.
- Google Calendar – It is easy to overlook Google Calendar for efficient scheduling, but it is one of the best in the market. The application is best for blocking out time for appointments and tasks. It’s great for setting reminders and integrates well with most work schedule applications.
- Notion – It has a user-friendly workspace which makes it easy to add various types of information. The online planner is great for organizing tasks, notes, presentations, project plans, and documents. App users can use the tool for personal projects or work with a team on work projects.
Ultimately, time-efficient scheduling is a skill that everyone who wants to be productive should learn. Whether you are trying out scheduling for the first time or refining your current schedule, the results will be worth it in the long run. Don’t push yourself into doing all the work! You should always consider hiring someone to help out. For example, if you manage your business, a virtual receptionist can take some of your workload and you would still gain profit!